Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Mitten baskets

This winter I made a couple Divided Baskets (pattern by Noodlehead) to contain the kiddo's mittens, hats, and scarves. Now that winter's over I have time to post about them :)


I made one for each kid, and they are just (barely!) big enough to hold all the gear that we started out with at the beginning of the winter. They live on an IKEA butcher block table in our kitchen, right by our back door.


Now that winter is over the baskets are half-full of mismatched mittens and too-small hats, and soon to be filled with sunscreen, sunglasses and bucket hats.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Another rainbow quilt

I'm 3 for 3! Still on track to finish an average of one quilt per month this year. Also, 3 for 3 on rainbow quilts. Rainbows make everything better!

This one is a baby quilt for a dear friend of mine. I had so, so much fun making it. I think I made twice as many hexies as I needed for this quilt... so I'm saving those for my fourth rainbow quilt this year ;)


I didn't measure this after washing, but I think it started at 37" x 52" - it will fit a standard toddler bed. This size gets a lot of milage at my house - my oldest at 6 is still using toddler-size quilts on his twin bed.


I love this Swedish text print in the corner.


One of the yellow hexies says "BEER" - I swear it was an accident. But I liked it, so I left it. It's from Emily Herrick's Sodalicious line.


An octopus from Heather Ross' reprinted Mendocino line.


An octopus from Tula Pink's Saltwater line.


Super cute origami dog!


It's kinda hard to see in the pictures, but I swapped out my top thread for each section - red, orange, yellow, green and blue. I kept the bottom thread grey to match the backing fabric. I made an extra-scrappy binding to match the rainbow hexies.

This is the third quilt I've made like this and I've got the process down. First, I make approximately a million hexies because they're fun to make, and also easy (for me) to lose. Many of mine have been lost on bus rides, road trips, airplanes, etc and I recently found some that my kid repurposed into an art project. Sigh. Note to self: invest in a better organization system for next time. I iron and starch the hexies so they keep their shape, then whipstitch groups of hexies together by hand. I pin-baste the quilt sandwich. Then I spend hours arranging and rearranging the hexies on the quilt before I finally commit to pinning the hexies in place. If I have enough safety pins handy, I use those and then go straight to quilting. If I use straight pins I go to the ironing board and glue-baste the hexies in place so I can remove the straight pins before quilting.

I use a walking foot to quilt around the edges of each hexie and between groups of hexies. I have to do a lot of quilt-wrangling for this since I turn the quilt 360 degrees to quilt each hexie. That's why I use safety pins or glue-basting to hold the hexies in place. Gluesticks don't hold up to the quilt-wrangling, and then my carefully placed hexies end up falling off. And it's no fun to wrangle a quilt with a bunch of straight pins in it. I tried, and quickly switched to glue-basting.

This quilt was incredibly fun to make and I'm so pleased with it. I think I made so many extra hexies because I didn't want the project to end. I'm rolling all the extra hexies over into another epic rainbow project - more details on that soon(ish).

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Ohio star baby quilt

I'm 2 for 2 - on track to finish an average of one quilt per month this year! I'm optimistic that I can keep up this momentum.


This is a 35" square baby quilt that I finished back in February, using the same Ohio star design as my last finished quilt. I used the leftovers from the flying geese and a little extra grey yardage. I pieced bits of the binding (again) to match the colors of the star points.

I donated this quilt to an art auction hosted by (and benefiting) my kid's elementary school. It went home with a generous bidder and I know it's being gifted to a lucky baby. Everyone wins :)