Wednesday, April 6, 2016

[fail] Spring Training T-Shirt

I worked so very hard on this shirt, but it just didn't work out.

IMG_0630

You might not notice it in the picture above, but the hem is flipping up, the shoulders are bunching up, and the collar is standing up.

IMG_0671

Definitely noticeable in this picture, though! The shirt is also pretty tight - I knit the 24 month size, but I had to squeeze it over Ethan's 19 month head. He has an average-sized noggin. The sleeves were also quite snug. I'm not quite sure where things went wrong, but this is my biggest knitting fail in a while. I used a less-drapey yarn than what the pattern called for. I measured Ethan one day, but didn't finish the sweater until about 9 months later. I made a bunch of mistakes and frogged repeatedly. I think I fixed the errors and followed the pattern, but I'm not going to double-check my work. I realized I don't like the turned-hem with baby garments - it took sooooo long to knit, and I think it looks odd with such bulky yarn and such a tiny garment. I would use a turned hem on an adult sweater, though. I'm also pretty proud of the raglan seams. I would also use those on an adult sweater as well. So I'm looking at this as a toddler sweater fail, but successful practice for my next sweater for myself :)



Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (blue) and Berroco Weekend (orange)
Needles: US5
Pattern: Spring Training T-Shirt

Monday, April 4, 2016

April Showers Embroidery Pattern

I finished stitching this embroidery hoop just in time for an overcast and rainy April week. I hung it on a very sunny Sunday and snapped a picture before the clouds rolled back in.

IMG_9085-2

I used a couple rows of loose french knots to outline the cloud and satin stitch for the raindrops. I settled on using 7 different blue/green/violet DMC flosses for the raindrops, after much waffling between rainbow and blues.

I just put the PDF pattern up on Craftsy, and I've made swatches available on Spoonflower  (for those of you who hate transferring paper embroidery patterns). For my hoop I used a Spoonflower swatch on Kona cotton.