Thursday, August 7, 2014

Paper piecing and a big fail

I recently tackled a complicated paper piecing project. It's from a cute pattern by Sew Ichigo called "Kitchen Classics". It was fussy, but not nearly as difficult as I expected. I finished the piecing in a few hours. Here's a picture of how it looked after I quilted it:

IMAG2176

Pretty nice, right? I was really happy with it, minus a couple small stains from the Elmer's school glue I used while piecing. I decided to wash the quilt to remove the marks. Here's where things went awry.

know that I prewashed all of this fabric before I started the project. When I handwashed the finished quilt in the bathroom sink the blue Kona fabric bled. A lot. I tried soaking the quilt in an attempt to remove the backstaining, or at least get the blue to backstain everything evenly, but no luck. I tried a weak bleach solution to remove the backstaining and just succeeded in bleaching the blue fabric. Then I soaked everything in a weak bleach solution in a last-ditch effort to even out the staining and fading. It was a total fail. Ugh!

I should've taken a picture of the fail, but it just made me too mad. I threw it in the trash right away. Today is garbage day and I just heard the garbage truck swing by and pick it up. Sigh.

I intend to make this pattern again, but probably not with a white background. And definitely not with the blue fabric. The blue fabric went to the dump today as well. Good riddance!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's so horrible! Have you ever tried Shout color catchers? When I was quilts (in the machine, I'm not patient enough to do it by hand) I always toss in 2-5 depending on the colors, and they always come out some weird color. I've never had any issue with them, even when working with neon fabrics which supposedly bleed more. I hope you try it again though! It looked really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried color catchers when machine washing, and they usually work well. There's only been one quilt that had backstaining when I used color catchers. I think I'll be using them when I handwash quilts now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] the teapot from Sew Ichigo’s Kitchen Classics pattern, and it’s a replacement for the failed paper piecing project I posted about last […]

    ReplyDelete