Friday, April 18, 2014

New plaid quilt

I was recently commissioned to make a larger size of my Baby Plaid Quilt. I know I say this a lot here, but I'm really pleased with this quilt!

IMG_4735

The finished size is 60" x 80", just big enough to cover a queen-size mattress with no drape. I did straight line quilting about 1.5" apart in the background, and straight lines following stripes.

IMG_4728

The tricky thing about this quilt was getting it to be exactly 60" x 80". I did some math on previous projects and found that my quilts usually shrink about 3% after washing. I rounded up and made this quilt top a few inches bigger than necessary - 64" x 86". I spray basted and quilted the layers, then I trimmed just the extra batting and backing from the quilt - it still measured 64" x 86". I straight-stitched very close to the edge of the quilt and then I machine washed and dried it to make sure it did all its shrinking before I cut it to size. This quilt actually shrunk less than 3%, so I had plenty of fabric to spare. I squared up the quilt and trimmed it to 60" x 80".

IMG_4712_1

I used Kona solids exclusively. The background is Butter, the stripes are Emerald, Asparagus and Berry. Where the stripes intersect I used Glacier, Laurel, Hibiscus, Periwinkle, Amethyst, and Kale. The binding is in Berry. The thread is cream-colored Gutermann cotton.

IMG_4743

The background is mostly Kona Emerald, with a strip of improv piecing using leftovers from the front of the quilt.

IMG_4701_1

Ready to ship!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment