Friday, March 7, 2014

A custom quilt

I finished my first quilt of the year, a piece commissioned by a coworker. It was inspired by this lovely quilt by Blue Elephant Stitches.

IMG_0570

It's queen-size, 86" x 94". I used Kona for the background and a mix of solids and prints for the triangles. I'm particularly fond of the striped batik triangles, the red and aqua stripes pull everything together. The quilting was done by Marilyn Kidd (kiddsrweAThotmailDOTcom), whom I highly recommend!

IMG_0583

The back has a scrappy rectangle and a Kona background. As usual I did a lot of math for this quilt and had very little fabric left over.

IMG_0587

I used a new (to me) technique for the binding, following this tutorial for Susie's Magic Binding. I'm really happy with this method. I made this binding a little wider than the tutorial, and I stitched it so that my "stitching in the ditch" on the front caught the binding on the back. It was just easier for me that way. I think this binding technique looks really sharp with this quilt, and I'll definitely use it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment