Check out all these dumpling bags! I made a couple last year and they took a long, long time. This year I made sixteen, assembly-line style. I didn't keep track of the time it took, but it seemed really quick.
I made all these for a gift exchange with my husbands' aunts and cousins. To read more about my assembly-line approach, see my post on the Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild blog.
You might notice in that post that my zipper is shorter than the one in Michelle's tutorial. It is. I'm not sure why I bought 20 zippers of the wrong size, but I did. ::sigh:: To make up for this mistake, I modified Michele's steps a little bit. Here's what I did:
- baste one side of the zipper to one half of the outer fabric, as shown in Michelle's tutorial.
- put the right side of the lining on the right side of the outer fabric. Pin the layers together along the basted zipper
- sew the layers, clip and trim the seam allowance
- turn the layers right side out and iron
- topstitch that side
- pin the other half of the zipper to the right side of the outer fabric. This requires you to fold up the outer fabric like a taco. It's kind of awkward but do-able. Stitch or baste the zipper.
- fold the lining so that it is right-sides-together with the outer fabric, pin and stitch. This is awkward too - everything is folded up, but it's still do-able.
- turn right-side-out, press, topstitch, then follow Michelle's steps for finishing the bottom.
I'm super pleased with how these turned out, and also how I was able to finish them on time for the gift exchange. Hope your holiday crafting is going equally well!