Thursday, October 31, 2013

Handmade Halloween

We are making a big deal out of Halloween this year. We have read spooky books every day for weeks, we got a pumpkin (although we didn't carve it), made a spider thaumatrope, baked and decorated cookies. I made some new decorations.

IMAG1306

A really simple wreath. I used a wreath form and skull and crossbones paper from Paper Source, ribbon scraps, and three metal stickers. The hardest part was coloring the edges of the wreath form with a black Sharpie.

IMG_2394

Cross stitch spider web and glow-in-the-dark spider. I used a kit from Subversive Cross Stitch.

IMAG1321

Dirt cup and a cloth napkin made from Robert Kaufman's Eerie Alley fabric.

But the very best part of Halloween this year is Isaac's costume. We asked what he wanted to be a month ago, and he said "An Aquabat!" I half-heartedly tried to talk him into being Batman or a hockey player - both things that he really likes, costumes that would be much easier to make, and other people would actually recognize the costume - but he had his heart set on Aquabat. He loves the Aquabats Super Show, which we discovered this year and is conveniently available on Netflix streaming. It is such a goofy show, and it makes me sooo happy to see him enjoying it because I love the Aquabats, too! I first heard of them over a decade ago and have been a fan ever since. I've seen them in concert three times. They put on such a fun show!

IMG_2369

My little Aquabat! I am so proud of this costume! The goggles are just two layers of felt and elastic. I did a lot of top-stitching on them to help them keep their shape. It helped, but not as much as I'd hoped - they are kinda floppy. If I ever make another pair of goggles, I will use some sort of interfacing between the felt layers to keep them from stretching out of shape. The logo on the shirt is felt that I very carefully cut with an exacto knife. I stitched the layers of felt together before stitching the logo to the shirt.

IMG_2384

The belt is my favorite part. Two layers of black felt sewn together, velcro closure, layers of grey and white felt on top with a free-motion quilted Aquabat. This is by far the most successful free-motion quilting that I've ever done.

The helmet is made of grey sweatshirt fabric, and I started with the Winter Hood pattern from the Oliver + S book. I modified it a lot - taking in the seam allowances, making the middle section skinnier, and giving it a widow's peak in the front. I left the ears covered because a) it was less work and b) it'll be warmer. We live in Minnesota. It might snow.

This costume was a challenge and it took some time, but it was worth every minute! Isaac "helped" me sew (watching and/or sitting on my lap while I sewed) some of the costume, and he was so eager to try on pieces for fittings. We recorded the first time he tried the whole costume on and he was so excited he literally could not stand still - he was singing, giggling and dancing with glee! I honestly don't know who is happier about this costume - him or me.

Hope you all have an equally Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment