This week I was inspired by a Michelle Patterns post, where she scaled down her Idea Pouch pattern to 75% for use as a sewing kit. Clever! I scaled it down a bit further, to 55%, so it would be just big enough to hold large post cards.
I used an Alexander Henry fabric I picked up at Joann's years ago, and a coordinating piece of Kona PFD that I dyed for the lining. This size pouch requires only a fat quarter each of lining and outer fabric.
In addition to scaling to 55%, I made a few changes to the original pattern:
- Since I used directional fabric I pieced the outer back + flap (pattern piece D) from two pieces so the mushrooms are right-side up on the back, and right-side up on the front flap (when closed).
- I changed the placement of lines on the pencil pocket, dividing it into 3 sections: 1/2, 1/4 and 1/4
- I omitted the top-stitching on the pleats - I felt at this size there just wasn't room.
Next time, I will trim the interfacing down by 1/4" on all sides to avoid bulky seam allowances. I might also add a pocket to the flap, like Michelle did in her post.
I need to gather a few more goodies. I think the finished kits will include:
- washable gluesticks
- washi tape
- crayons, small pens or washable markers
- a small envelope, full of vintage stamps
- 4-bar and A2 envelopes and note cards
- cheatsheet for postage, stationary and postcard sizes
If you're thinking of making your own pen pal kit, you might find these links useful: