Monday, March 26, 2012

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Winter knits

Although I didn't post during the winter, I was busy making stuff. I knit a few winter things for Isaac . Sadly (?) it looks like winter might already be over, so he may not have many more opportunities to wear them.


Pattern: Baby Sophisticate (ravelry)

Yarn: Rowan Cotton Jeans

Modifications: I cast on 44 stitches. Row 1: sl1, k5, pm, k7, pm, k18, pm, k7, pm, k6

Pattern: Toddler t-shirt vest (ravelry)

Yarn: Malabrigo cotton

I know I made some modifications to the pattern, but I forgot to take notes. I think this will fit him again in the fall. Maybe.

Pattern: Baby owl vest (ravelry)

Yarn: S. R. Kertzer Down to Earth Cotton

Again, I made some modifications and I forgot to write them down. This will definitely not fit again in the fall. I might have to make a larger one.

For next winter, I'm planning some hats with earflaps and ties, more vests, and at least one cardigan.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Embroidery swap

Last weekend I sketched out my design for the Wild Olive Stitch Swap. I found a free pattern at So September that was almost exactly what I had in mind. I've been using a water soluble Prismacolor pencil to sketch embroidery patterns, trace sewing patterns, etc. I found it at a local fabric store last year and it works so well I want to buy a bunch more so I'll never run out. Unfortunately the store no longer stocks them so I'll have to find a different source.

Monday, March 19, 2012

A robot backpack

I thought Isaac needed a toddler backpack, now that he's moved up to the toddler room at day care. I used the Made By Rae pattern and some imported Japanese robot fabric that I picked up on sale this winter.

I am super happy with how this turned out, it could not be cuter :)

I made just a few modifications to the pattern: making the side panels in the same fabric as the bottom, making the backpack 1/2 inch wider so that his lunch tin can sit flat in the bottom of the backpack, and I used a lot of interfacing to make sure the bag keeps its shape. I put two pieces of pellon 50 in the bottom, which I whip-stitched to the seam allowances before sewing the lining in. For the front and back panels I quilted a piece of pellon 50 and a piece of quilt batting to the outside fabric, and a piece of quilt batting to the lining fabric. Hopefully all this interfacing means the bag lasts through preschool. We'll see!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Robots + embroidery

A little robot embroidery for Isaac's room. I got the transfers from Sublime Stitching.

I realized about halfway through the robot that I had 2 similar but different shades of gray and that I had been using them interchangeably. Oops! I fixed the mixup, and organized (and labeled!) all my floss in an ArtBin. Now I'm all set for the Wild Olive Stitch Swap!