Friday, October 28, 2011

Jay McCarroll Habitat Challenge

I finished the Jay McCarroll Habitat challenge (barely) in time for the October meeting of the Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild. We got fat eights of the Habitat jewel colorway and the theme was "wonky". The hexagon quilt in the new Block Party book was my inspiration. Rather than making blocks, though, I used a single piece of fabric for the front. I made and basted the "quilt sandwich", positioned the hexagons, and quilted them in place. I am super, super happy with the finished product. It turned out exactly like I'd envisioned.

IMG_5163

This quilt has the most negative space out of any I've made, by far. I love how it turned out and I hope to be making more soon. I have quite a bit of the Habitat fabric left, and some purple Kona fabric, so I'd like to make some placemats, napkins or mugrugs with the leftovers.

IMG_5170

This is, I think, the 6th project I've quilted and bound since August. I'm getting much better and much, much quicker at binding - I finished hand-sewing the binding for this project in less than 6 hours. That's a personal record :)