Friday, July 29, 2011

Warm Cool QAL - finished!



I basted my warm / cool quilt earlier this week. This is my first time basting with bent safety pins. It was a lot easier to do than expected - the pins were easy to close, and it was a piece of cake to tape the layers smoothly in place with painters tape. I probably used about 50 more pins than I needed.

IMAG0497

But, extra pins or not, the finished product turned out really well.

IMG_4626

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer

We are in the midst of summer in Minnesota. Look what I found in the yard:

fruit

Tart cherries, strawberries and currants. Yum!

I made another bucket hat for the little man.

IMAG0506

He prefers to chew on his hats rather than wear them.

IMAG0512

I appliqued a space invaders onesie for him out of the same fabric line.

IMAG0451

 

And I made a couple banners for the house.

IMAG0393

IMAG0405

I'd like to say we've been spending a lot of time outside, but we haven't. We've been fighting summer colds and trying to stay cool during the heat wave.

 

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Warm Cool QAL - finished top



I've got my Warm Cool quilt top all stitched together!

IMG_4584

Remember when I mentioned that taking a picture of the layout before chain-piecing is tremendously helpful? Well. You know what else is tremendously helpful? Sewing the blocks together along the correct edge. Notice the difference between what the quilt top looks like (above) and what I intended it to look like (below).warmCool3

Doh! After I realized what I'd done, I just ripped apart 2 of the center blocks, swapped 2 triangles around and called it good. I may have also (accidentally) swapped a couple columns around, but it's hard to tell. I feel silly having spent all that time laying out the top, taking a photo, meticulously pairing up and stacking blocks to sew together, only to make a large mistake and still have the top turn out decent. Perhaps I did not need to spend so much time sweating the layout.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Letterpress proofing

I'm in the midst of a 6-week letterpress printing class at the Minnesota Center for Book Arts. It is awesome. I am hooked. We're learning how to use Vandercook presses, set lead type and make lino cuts. Our end product will be a broadside print. Here's the lead type, Stymie medium 24pt, I set for my text:

IMAG0485

And here's the proof:

IMAG0486

Next week is mistake-fixing and linoleum cutting. Yay!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Vacation

We took a little family vacation to San Francisco over the 4th of July. It was fantastic. We made some quick stops at Dynamo Donuts, Daiso, and In-n-Out Burger before we headed across the Golden Gate Bridge to visit family. I highly recommend all three places. We had a really relaxing time north of the city, took lots of walks, played some croquet and visited Muir Woods. I snapped a few pics with my phone.

shot_1309882921508

An old school Land Rover.

 

shot_1309976632304

 

Super tall redwoods.

 

shot_1309976395020

 

Giant clovers in Muir Woods. Can't really tell the scale in this picture, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

 

 

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dolly

IMAG0258

Pattern: Dolly by Jess Hutchison (ravelry)

Yarn: Cascade 220

Needles: US6