Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Good bye, winter!

I think we can safely put away our winter hats in Minneapolis. Finally.

There's one hat that I made for Isaac that's getting packed away in the attic. It fit him perfectly this winter, but I'm sure it will be much too small next winter:


Pattern: Penguin Pal Hat (ravelry)

Yarn: Single ply wool

Needles: US6

There are a couple other hats I made that will (hopefully) fit this fall.

Pattern: helix hat, from Peggy Lexau's colorwork class at the Yarnery

Yarn: Rowan Cashsoft DK

Needles: US6

Pattern: Heirloom hat from the Purl Bee

Yarn: sock yarn mill ends

Needles: US3

Monday, May 9, 2011

tweet tweet

I made another set of pot holders, this time with a walking foot.

Pattern: from One Yard Wonders

The walking foot really helped keep the top, batting, and backing in alignment as I quilted. I think the tension needs to be adjusted, though. It seems to be a little bit different than when I sew with a regular quilting foot. I intend to use the walking foot for a few quilts soon, so I'll do a few more practice pieces before I start on those.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011


I've been wanting to knit some of Rebecca Danger's toys for a loooooong time, and I finally set time aside to do it. I opted to embroider the eyes and mouth on with duplicate stitch, and then use a felting needle to make sure Isaac's little fingers can't un-ravel them. I used bamboo fiberfill, I'm curious to see how it holds up compared to the polyester stuff.

Pattern: Coco the Canister Monster, by Rebecca Danger (ravelry)

Yarn: single ply worsted weight wool

Needles: US5

Pattern: Tony the Toy Box Monster, by Rebecca Danger (ravelry)

Yarn: miscellaneous sock yarn

Needles: US2, 2.75mm

Sunday, May 1, 2011

More owls...

I finished making Isaac a little vest, it probably won't fit him until summer or fall. My grandma made me a pink vest with the same owl pattern near the hem, only those owls had googly eyes.


Pattern: Owl Baby Vest (ravelry)

Yarn: S. R. Kertzer Down to Earth Cotton

Needles: US3 and US4 circs

I recently mailed off this box pouch for a friend's birthday. It's made from a really nice cotton (with owls!) imported from Japan and linen. It has a layer of cotton quilt batting plus some iron-on interfacing to help it keep its shape. Sewing the corners was tricky with quilt batting because it would stretch and shift a little, next time I think I will use an iron-on fleece interfacing instead of quilt batting.

Pattern: Fully lined box pouch