Monday, March 3, 2008

Felted clogs

These clogs are great! I made them for my husband to replace the plastic-bottomed slippers he's been wearing for a couple of years. These fit way better, will be much warmer, and won't be so noisy. Plastic slippers shuffling around on wood floors is surprisingly noisy.

My husband wears a men size 9 shoe, while the slipper pattern is for a size 11. So these started out pretty big and took a l--o--n--g time to felt down to a size 9 in the washer... I'd estimate over an hour of felting. And strangely, they felted at different rates. Perhaps my gauge was slightly different in them... I don't know. Anyway, all the knitting and hovering over the washing machine and trying on wet squishy slippers paid off - he really likes the slippers. I just have to wait for them to dry, then I'll sew the leather soles on and they'll be ready for use.

I did have to clip a lot of fuzzies off these slippers. For some reason this Cascade 220 didn't felt as smoothly as the stockings. I'm a little worried that these slippers will be a magnet for cat hair, but I'm hoping the leather soles will keep that to a minimum.


I embroidered 'R' and 'L' in the slippers to differentiate Left from Right. It was a little difficult to do, but worth it. I love the detail. I used Cascade 220 for the embroidery, so it will (I assume) eventually felt into the slipper bottoms and be less defined and less readable. By that point though, I think the slippers will have molded to the feet, so the R and L shouldn't be necessary any more.


No comments:

Post a Comment