Monday, March 31, 2008

Evangeline mittens

I finished a pair of Evangeline mittens a few weeks ago, and I'm super happy with them. I made them with some of the leftover Cascade 220 from my Circle Square hat, and even after these two projects I still have a small ball of yarn left. I made them with 5 cable repeats instead of 3 or 9, and I think they are just the right length. I made the thumb hole a little tight, trying to compensate for the overly-loose thumbhole that my fetching mitts have. I also picked up many more stitches around the thumbhole than the pattern called for, which makes the fabric around the thumb less holey and more insulating, like a mitten should be.

Fingerless mittens work great for me on weekday mornings when I'm rushing to the bus stop, knowing that I won't be spending much time outside and that I'll have to dig thru my purse for my bus pass.

I reversed the cables on the mitts, so they are mirror images of each other.


Lily of the Valley

I finished my Lily of the Valley Perdita bracelet just in time for Easter:


Friday, March 7, 2008

Just what everyone needs...

...a furry bowl...


Pattern is from the "One Skein" book. Made with un-labeled single-ply wool yarn from my stash.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lily of the valley


This is what was soaking in the cup yesterday... a Perdita bracelet. This is the Lily of the Valley version. Lily of the valley are one of my favorite flowers. I love the way they smell. I love that they look so delicate, and yet they are poisonous. Not that I'm especially fond of poisonous things, but it's the poisonous-ness that keeps the wildlife from eating them, and therefore keeps them coming back every year.

Anywho, I made this bracelet with DMC pearl cotton yarn and some glass beads with size US1 needles. It didn't take very long... maybe 3 movies worth of knitting. All that's left is to crochet some button holes and attach buttons. And to wait for the weather to be warm enough to wear a short sleeve shirt so I can show off my new bracelet... there is still at least a foot of snow in our yard so it might be a while :/

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Monday, March 3, 2008

Felted clogs

These clogs are great! I made them for my husband to replace the plastic-bottomed slippers he's been wearing for a couple of years. These fit way better, will be much warmer, and won't be so noisy. Plastic slippers shuffling around on wood floors is surprisingly noisy.

My husband wears a men size 9 shoe, while the slipper pattern is for a size 11. So these started out pretty big and took a l--o--n--g time to felt down to a size 9 in the washer... I'd estimate over an hour of felting. And strangely, they felted at different rates. Perhaps my gauge was slightly different in them... I don't know. Anyway, all the knitting and hovering over the washing machine and trying on wet squishy slippers paid off - he really likes the slippers. I just have to wait for them to dry, then I'll sew the leather soles on and they'll be ready for use.

I did have to clip a lot of fuzzies off these slippers. For some reason this Cascade 220 didn't felt as smoothly as the stockings. I'm a little worried that these slippers will be a magnet for cat hair, but I'm hoping the leather soles will keep that to a minimum.


I embroidered 'R' and 'L' in the slippers to differentiate Left from Right. It was a little difficult to do, but worth it. I love the detail. I used Cascade 220 for the embroidery, so it will (I assume) eventually felt into the slipper bottoms and be less defined and less readable. By that point though, I think the slippers will have molded to the feet, so the R and L shouldn't be necessary any more.