I have kind of a love-hate relationship with knitting sweaters... I love picking out patterns, choosing yarn and starting to knit. But I hate trying on half-knit sweaters, getting jabbed with the knitting needles that are sticking out in every direction, trying to decide if it fits or not. And I hate trying to adjust patterns... I am just not good at it. And I hate that point where I try the sweater on, see that it's not fitting how I'd hoped, and have to decide whether to just live with it or do it all over again.
This sweater, however, was not too bad. I'm not a big fan of the yarn, I quickly discovered that it splits easily and snags on everything. But the sweater actually fits. It's knit from the bottom up. I started out doing a medium, then decreased to a small at the waist. I completely re-wrote the pattern for the sleeves... the pattern called for them to be knit from the cuff up, and then SEAMED to the shoulders. Um, no. I hate seaming. When I got to the point where I needed to cast on stitches to make the armhole I did a provisional cast on. Then, after I had finished knitting the body, I went back and picked up the live stitches from the provisional cast on and started knitting the sleeves from the shoulders down. Much better.
The only thing I need to (re)do is the neckline... it's much to wide for me. I plan to rip out the five rows of 1x1 rib and add a few more inches of the body pattern. Then this will be my best sweater yet :)
Wow! It looks great!ReplyDelete
It's very prettyReplyDelete